Monday, October 18, 2010

Playing Gin Rummy And Winning At Ninety (90) Years Old

On Sunday (last night), I had the opportunity to share some time with a strong woman of 90 years old, Mrs. Marje. As soon as I came into the house, her daughter asked me if I knew how to play Gin Rummy and I said my other relatives used to play when I was a little girl. I barely played, but could remember if she refreshed my memory. :)


And...that's exactly what Mrs. Marje did. She gave me the rules as we dove right into the first hand. I kept score. I didn't know what to expect because I had not played in a while. However, as the games went on and she was 200 to my measley 65, I soon learned that I need to catch on quickly. It soon became a competition and I was eager to win.

In the final hand before it was time for her to eat dinner, she sealed the deal and I was close, but no cigar! She won 525 to my 425. She walked right into the 500 winner's circle and left me in the dust. I told her that I would have to come over there and play her more sometimes. She was great, with comedic gestures throughout. I felt as if I was playing one of my peers the way we were babbling back and forth. It was great!

With that being said, if you want to learn how to play Gin Rummy and not face the terrible defeat that I experienced with my senior client, Mrs. Marje, then hop on over to Wikipedia to get the inside scoop on how to play the game. I realized while playing the game, how mental and strategic it really is. Gin Rummy keeps the mind young and you thinking.

Go Back To My Site

2 comments:

  1. actually, rummy is a verry old game, i think originally from india, i don't know for shure, but i do like playing rummy, and i will keep playing it forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is really fun. I played with the senior I mentioned within the post for hours. She was really good too at 90 years old. Yes, keep playing it forever, it keeps your mind working. Happy New Year! -Selena

    ReplyDelete