Sunday, August 1, 2010

Grandma Would Sing: "Lord I Thank You....."

When I was about 10 years old, I was given the duty of taking care of my grandmother and two siblings everyday after school. By this time, my grandmother was experiencing dementia so she couldn't care for herself as she used to do. She used to change our diapers and care for us while my parents worked day and night shifts.

When I was little I didn't think that what I was doing was a burden to my childhood because it was a way of life. I did have to miss the teenage life, going to homecoming dance and even the prom, but the thought of caring for my grandmother never made me feel any kind of way. I did what I was told to do and I know my grandmother was appreciative of it.

In all of that said, I have to say that I remember one thing that my grandmother used to sing repeatedly to herself. It went like this: "Lord I Thank Yooooou, And I Thank You, Everyday." She would sing this little piece of a song whenever she had the opportunity of time in her world of dementia.

I can say that even today I think of my grandmother. She died while I was in the U.S Army, so I never got to say goodbye. It still hurts sometimes even now, but I know she's definitely in a better place.

Selena

No comments:

Post a Comment